How to Follow Up on a Job Application by Phone
You applied for a job but haven’t heard back yet. Sound familiar? While playing the “waiting game” can be discouraging at any phase of your search, staying positive and proactive is important. Your next step is to reach out to the hiring manager, but maybe you’re unsure how to follow up on a job application by phone.
Phone calls can be stressful if you don’t know what to say. Use the simple job application follow-up call script below when contacting the hiring manager via phone. You’ll also see examples for responding to specific answers you may receive. By being straightforward and to the point, you’ll portray interest in the position without coming off as a pest.
Bonus tip: Wait one week after applying before making your application follow-up call, and do not call more than twice in one week.
What to say in a follow-up call after applying – introduction:
“Hi [their name]. My name is [your name], and I’m calling regarding a recent job application I submitted on [date] for the [position name] position. I’m very interested in the position and was wondering if a decision has been made?”
If a decision has not yet been made:
This means you may still be in the running. Here are some questions to ask if the position is still open:
- What is the time frame for filling the position?
- I would love the opportunity to discuss how my qualifications match your company’s job description. Are interviews currently being scheduled?
- Do you need additional information from me for my application?
If the position has been filled:
Though this isn’t the best news, end the conversation on a high note to leave a positive impression on the hiring manager. You may very well be applying to other opportunities with their company in the future.
- I will continue to check your website/job board for future opportunities. Thank you for your time and consideration.
- If the chosen candidate does not work out or another position opens that I might be a good fit for, please keep me in mind. I’d love the opportunity to discuss my skills and how I can help [Company Name] reach their goals.
Job Seeker Sign In
If they request an interview:
This is the best outcome possible for your application follow-up call. Express enthusiasm and gratitude for the opportunity and confirm the next steps. Then, start preparing for your interview.
- Great, thank you! When would be the best day/time for me to come in?
- In addition to copies of my resume and references, are there any other documents I should bring to the interview?
Armed with this job application follow-up call script, you’ll know what to say when following up on an application by phone. If you speak confidently to the hiring manager and make a solid first impression, you’ll increase your chances of landing your dream job.
For more job search tips, including other phone call or email templates, head to our Job Seeker Resource Center.
Sign In or Register to access all articles and insider tips for help in your job search.